Microfiber Work Horse Color Code & How to Wash
Chemical Guys Workhorse Microfiber Towels & Applicators are color-coded for different areas across your car. Cross-contamination is an amateur mistake: using an engine bay towel on interiors could stain and ruin leather surfaces; dressing residue can streak on glass; brake dust stuck in wheel towels can scratch and swirl paint. Use the Chemical Guys/Smart Detailing University Color Coding Scheme for perfect results! The premium towels are made with a super soft 70/30 microfiber blend for scratch-free wiping on sensitive exterior surfaces. The blend stays soft through dozens of wash and dry cycles, and lasts for years of detailing use. The plush square towel easily folds into fours for efficient use of every inch of the cloth.
Green: Exterior Detailing
- Wipe & Buff Off Detail Spray, Wax, Sealants, Glazes, and Polishes
- Using Waterless Washes
- Matches with Eco-Friendly Products
- Easy To See Contaminants Such As Dirt & Grime
Yellow: Interior Detailing
- Wiping down dashboards, door panels, steering wheels and navigation panes
- Upholstery Detailing; wiping off grime/light scrubbing
- Light color to see true cleaning results
- Wipe off excess dressing on rubber and vinyl
Tan: Leather, Vinyl & Synthetic Leather
- Wiping down real or synthetic leather from dirt and grime
- Apply Leather Cleaner, Conditioner, Serum and Quick Detailer
- Buff off excess dressing from vinyl and leather
- Matches the color of premium Chemical Guys leather products
Black: Plastic, Rubber and Vinyl Trim
- Clean extra dirty parts of vehicle: undercarriage, tires, suspension and wheel liners
- Engine bay cleaning
- Buffing off excess tire dressing
- Dark color won't show dirt over time
- Dedicate for dirty areas only
- Metal cleaning
- Polishing metal rims, chrome, stainless steel and aluminum
- Buffing chrome exhaust tips, diamond plate and chrome bumpers
- Silver to match metal color
Blue: Glass Cleaning
- Dedicated for glass cleaning
- Great for interior and exterior use
- Won't streak or leave residues for crystal clear glass
- Clean clear optical plastics, glass, mirrors and navigation screens
- Prevent cross-contamination from towels with oil to prevent streaking
Workhorse Microfiber Applicator Color Code
- Green: Apply Wax, Sealants, Glazes, and Polishes
- Yellow: Applying Interior Dressings
- Tan: Apply Leather Conditioner, Serum, and Protectants
- Black: Applying Dressing To Engine bays, Tires, Rubber/Plastic/Vinyl Trim Pieces
- Gray: Polish Wheels, Rims, polished metals, and bumpers
- Blue: Apply Protectants To Glass
Clean and soft microfiber is crucial to preventing scratches on paint. Use Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash to keep your microfiber towels clean, soft, and absorbent! To wash and dry microfiber goods:
- Separate microfiber towels by type into designated wash and dry loads.
- Keep grimy towels separate from cleaner paint towels!
- Start by washing “cleaner” towels first, then finish with “grimier” towels.
- Machine wash microfiber goods with Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash and HOT water.
- Hot water opens the fibers to better release dirt and grease.
- Do not use fabric softener: fabric softeners clog microfiber and render them unabsorbent and useless.
- Machine dry microfiber goods on LOW heat.
- High heat cooks fibers, makes them hard, and then they can scratch paint.
- Do not use fabric softener dryer sheets: fabric softeners clog microfiber and render them unabsorbent and useless.